As a general sci-fi convention, ConGregate would like to have a variety of guests. Unfortunately, like many cons, we are limited in our space and our ability to provide adequate programming opportunities. As a result, while we wish we could accept everyone, we may not be able to accommodate every guest request.
Individuals that typically qualify for guest status include:
- Individual who qualify for membership in SFWA, or have 3 short stories published for which they have received payment over $25, or have 2 novel or novella length stories published for which they have received payment over $500
- Artists who derive more than 10% of their income from their work
- Individuals who have been Guests of Honor at other area conventions
- Individuals who are considered experts in their field. (This includes but is not limited to: editors, publishers, scientists, special effects, costuming, fandom, etc)
- Entertainers such as filkers, musicians, and other performance groups
- As a general rule, vanity press authors and independent filmmakers do not currently qualify as guests for ConGregate.
ConGregate reserves the right to make changes or exceptions to any part this policy at our discretion.
We are looking for guests in the following areas:
- Special Effects
- Performance (Music, Comedy, Etc.)
- Gaming (you must be willing to run/demo games during the con)
- Professional or Semi-professional Cosplay Photographers
Because there are a handful of Anime cons local to NC, we are not seeking anime guests at this time.
A Note on How We Select Our Guests
It is our intent to consider an individual’s contribution to the genre ahead of all else when evaluating their application to be a guest. However, we also have to consider the financial reality of bringing a guest to the convention. If we believe a guest will create a negative financial impact on the convention, we will have to respectfully decline that guest’s application.
If you are accepted as a guest, you will receive:
- One (1) complimentary membership to the convention, plus 1 additional membership, if needed, for a companion. (Group memberships or discounts will be determined on a case by case basis.)
- Advertising as a guest on our website and inclusion in the program book
- We will endeavor to provide each guest 1 hour of signing time, if requested. Additional time may be granted if scheduling permits.
As a guest, we request the following of you:
- We request that each guest participate in a minimum of 4 hours of programming (panels, workshops, etc.) during the convention.
- Please provide us with a headshot for the website (.jpg or .png file formats preferred) and a copy of your current bio.
A Note on Guest Compensation
Unfortunately, ConGregate is not a large convention with a big budget. For most guests, we are not able to provide more than what is already stated above. While we understand that travel is not cheap, our budget simply does not allow for us to pay fees, travel or lodging for the majority of our guests (the Con Chair even pays for his own room/board).
Please read our Guest Policy before filling out this application. If you have any questions, please feel free to address them to our Guest Relations Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org