ConGregate 7 / DeepSouthCon 59

Cancellation / COVID-19

Update: 5-26-2020

It is with deep regret that we have to announce that we are canceling ConGregate 2020 - same story, different con.

When NC released the Phase 2 specifics of their Safer at Home order, they did not increase the number of people allowed to gather in a single indoor event hall or ballroom. That number is currently set at 10 people, which is, of course, way too small for a SF con. While it’s possible that Phase 3 might increase that number, we don’t see it moving to a number high enough to safely and/or legally hold the convention.

Our plan is to roll everything forward to next year’s event.

ConGregate 2021 is scheduled for July 9-11, 2021 and will still be located at the Winston-Salem Marriott. All memberships, dealer tables, hallway tables, and Breakfast with Timothy Zahn tickets will be automatically transferred to 2021, unless you contact us to request otherwise. 

Some good news: as you might have guessed from above, yes, Timothy Zahn has agreed to be with us as our 2021 Guest of Honor.

We also would like make you aware that we will be the host convention for DeepSouthCon 59 next year. We had a very successful DSC in 2017, and are extremely pleased to be hosting it again.

Lastly, regarding your hotel room reservations, you will need to contact the Marriott to make sure your reservations are canceled for this year. You can call the hotel directly at 336-725-3500.

We hope to see you next year. In the meantime stay safe... and stay tuned!

Update: 5-8-2020

We have had a second meeting with the hotel and wanted to share a quick update. The hotel has come up with a contingency plan if a partial reopening is possible for Phase 2 or Phase 3 of NC's phased roll back of the stay at home order. At this time, those phases have not been detailed out by the state. The only thing we can say for certain is that the contingency plan will involve some significant social distancing options, that we will detail later, if we need to enact that option.

As of right now, the hotel wants to wait until the details of Phase 2 have been announced - at the earliest - before making any decisions on whether or not we move forward with ConGregate.

As always, stay safe… and stay tuned!

Update: 4-26-2020

There have been some questions circulating around social media regarding ConGregate, in relation to Gov. Coopers phased roll back plan.

The most likely scenario is that we will be in Phase 3 (barring any set-backs). Since NC is being deliberately, and wisely, vague on exactly what that means, we still don’t have any specifics on if people will be allowed to gather during that, or any other, phase. Nor do we know what the cap will be.

So, where does that leave us? Simply put, we don’t know yet. ConGregate is still very much at the mercy of the hotel when it comes to cancelling the con, or not. If the hotel says we can hold it, we will be contractually obligated to do so, or pay out over $25,000 in penalties. That penalty would bankrupt the con… game over.

Some folks have suggested cancellation insurance, but sadly the policies we have looked at over the last 3 months have excluded the current pandemic.

In conclusion, we are still in a “wait and see” situation.

Stay tuned. Stay safe!

Update: 4-10-2020

As of today's teleconference with the Marriott, the hotel was not planning on cancelling our convention. We want everyone to understand that whether we hold ConGregate in 2020 will depend on regulations by the local and federal governments, as well as also the hotel’s ability to host the con. If those issues are “green lighted,” we will move forward with this year's convention. 

We'll keep you updated as things progress.

Everyone stay safe!


We have all been closely monitoring the spread of COVID-19, better known in the mainstream media as "Coronavirus." We know many people remain deeply concerned about their health and well-being, as well as the health of those close to them. ConGregate is also concerned for the safety and well-being of our community and the welfare of its own staff and convention attendees.

As the convention is still a number of months away, we are inclined to continue to plan for having the event. If things were to get dramatically worse later this summer, we may reconsider that decision. If so, we will certainly make every effort to inform folks if we decide to cancel. For now, we have adopted a "wait and see" policy.

Regardless of any decision made by ConGregate, please be mindful that if you, or someone close to you, are amongst the demographic that is at serious risk from COVID-19, attending ConGregate may not be in your best interest.